The "season of gratitude" gift process doesn't work in Firefox on Linux. I made sure all JS was allowed to run (except google-analytics) and it still wouldn't work. It let me login and then returned me to the page with the big "continue" button but clicking continue just left me on the same page.
I had to use Chrome on Windows to get it to work. You might want to give it a test with Firefox (especially on Linux). Thanks.
Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
Further info. The Data Newsletter email link now works fine (in FF for Linux), ONLY as long as I'm logged in on O'Reilly first. However, the Web Newsletter link, which I tried before the Data one, did not work but got farther along than before. This time it let me login, and sent me to a redirection page but it didn't redirect. I checked the URL and cut & pasted the part after the redirect= and I managed to continue in the process and get it to work without resorting to Windows.
So it looks like they've tweaked it to get a little farther? But make sure the programmers are testing a) on Linux and b) from a logged-out state.
As a programmer myself, I realize the bug details I gave above are horrible. Let me be more precise:
All below is for the Data newsletter:
1. logged out of oreilly.com; now on oreilly.com home page
2. click link in email
3. click choose your gift
4. I get to the "please select your gift" page! Huh??? It completely skipped the login part. BUG?
Clear all cookies with oreilly in them (about 25), try again:
1. click link in email
2. says I must sign in: click continue
3. sign-in on the login page with O'Reilly account
4. signed in now, get the "loading... if the page does not load after 10 seconds..." page with this url:
5. it sits there and goes nowhere (BUG!)
6. I click "try signing in again" link on that page
7. I sign-in again
8. Now I get another page that is pretty spartan: the only text other than the normal nav stuff is "You are logged in as: foobar. Sign Out". No other buttons/links! (BUG!)
9. The URL here shows:
10. So I cut the redirect URL out and paste it manually into URL bar:
11. Now I am at:
and I can continue with the process.
So I see a few bugs as noted above. The gift process should not take you to the "select your gift" page until you're logged in, right now it bypasses login sometimes. The redirect function of login.csp needs to be fixed. The bug at #5 above is the worst, that will trip up most users.